Amreli District is named after the city name Amreli, which is the District head quarter. From the holy stone of Shilalekh of Holy Temple Nagnath at Amreli it has came to be known that Amreli was known as Amravaali in historical age.
Very few historic information is available about Amreli before it became a part of Princely Vadodra State.
During 1730 Damajirao Gaikwad came to amreli. Before this period Amreli was in control of 3 parties namely Kathi of Jaliya Caste, Few Saiyads who got sanad for land from King of Delhi and Junagadh’s Faujdar who was under Ahmedabad Province. So Maratha Sardar Damajirao Gaikwad established Military Base in Amreli and Lathi during 1742-43. Kathiawad was under control of heirs of Gaikwad Damajirao Devaji till 1820.
Till 1949 Amreli was a prant of Vadodara state.
In November-1956 states were reorganized, Amreli became part of bilingual Varahat Mumbai state alongwith Vidarbh, Marathwada, Saurashtra and Kutch, and On May1, 1960 Mumbai state was divided into Maharashtra and Gujarat and from that date Amreli became the part of Gujarat state.